As a kid I would eat beans and rice at my grandmother's and all I knew was that they were delicious with her homemade cornbread. I didn't know then that she made them because not only are they classic comfort food, they were a great way for her to stretch her grocery budget and still are today. Pair these with a steam bag of vegetables for a meal that will make both your wallet and your family happy.
- Sort and rinse beans.
- Add beans to large stock pot and cover with 2 inches of water.
- Heat beans over low heat to a boil.
- Let boil for 2 minutes and then remove from heat.
- Let beans soak in the hot water for 1 hour.
- Put back on low heat and add tomatoes, chiles, red onions, tobasco sauce, garlic salt, and cooked sausage.
- Cook on low for approximately 2 hours or until beans are tender.
- Serve over rice.