The best news is that saving money and eating healthier go hand in hand! By going meatless at least once a week for a year, you could be saving thousands of dollars. Meat is pricy- while veggies (including the ingredients listed in this recipe) cost a fraction of the price of meat. Going meatless once a week can reduce your risk of chronic preventable conditions like cancer, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and obesity.
Try this cost-saving vegan recipe for Meatless Monday or any day of the week! The butternut squash and kidney bean combination is a clear winner, especially when accompanied by healthy helping of kale. The butternut squash seeds are used for the garnish, so that not the full vegetable is utilized and you're getting the biggest bang for your buck. This one is a crowd pleaser for vegans and meat eaters alike!
KIDNEY BEAN & BUTTERNUT SQUASH STEW WITH KALE + ROASTED SEEDS
- 2 Tbls avocado or coconut oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup kidney beans soaked overnight, drained and rinsed
- 2-inch piece kombu
- 4 cups vegetable stock or water
- Half of one medium butternut squash, large diced
- 1 inch knob of ginger, finely grated
- ¼ cup tamari or more, to taste
- juice of half lemon
- 4-5 kale leaves, destemmed and ripped into pieces
- chopped scallions for garnish (optional)
- Roasted Seeds
- seeds from the butternut squash
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- Heat 1 Tbls of oil in a pot then add onion, garlic, and sautee until translucent. Add salt, kombu, stock or water, and beans. Simmer for 20 or until beans begin to soften.
- Add the butternut squash and simmer for another 15 min or until squash is soft.
- Add the grated ginger, lemon, tamari, and kale. Simmer for a couple of minutes until kale is dark green.
- Remove from heat. Using a slotted spoon, stir the stew and see if you can find the kombu (if it has not disintegrated, if it has, this is fine!) If there are large kombu pieces, remove and discard them.
- To toast the seeds, preheat the oven to 375F/190C. Clean the seeds, removing any squash bits from them. Toss the seeds with 1 Tbls oil and add salt and smoked paprika. Toast for 5-8 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- To serve, sprinkle the seeds and scallions on top of stew and enjoy!