This slaw is fashioned from paper-thin ribbons of fresh asparagus and red bell pepper. Shaving the asparagus and bell pepper takes a little time, but it’s well worth the effort. They combine to create a dish that is a direct reflection of spring — crisp and refreshing. You can — and should — make this ahead. It’s better the next day.
Asparagus & Red Bell Pepper Slaw
- Yield: Serves 4
- 1 pound asparagus
- 1 small red bell pepper
- ½ cup shredded Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 4 teaspoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Trim the asparagus. Use a vegetable peeler to shave the asparagus into paper-thin strips. (Slide the peeler along the entire length of each asparagus spear.)
- Remove the stem and seeds from the red bell pepper. Use the vegetable peeler to shave it into paper-thin strips like the asparagus.
- Place the shaved asparagus, peppers and cheese in a medium bowl.
- Whisk the lemon juice and mustard together in a small bowl. Gradually add the olive oil, whisking constantly, until the dressing emulsifies or comes together.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the asparagus and peppers and toss until evenly coated. Season with salt and pepper. Serve chilled or at room temperature.