Crispy and full of takeout flavor. You'll never guess that these egg rolls are reduced in fat.
Baked Pork & Napa Egg Rolls
- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep Time: 25 min
- Cooking Time: 25 min
- 1 lb lean ground pork
- 1-2 tsp vegetable oil (as needed)
- 1 ½ C shredded carrots
- 1 C diced yellow onion
- 6 C shredded napa cabbage
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 12 egg roll wrappers
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 400º F. In a large pan (I prefer cast iron), over medium high heat, brown 1 lb of lean ground pork by breaking it apart into small pieces as it cooks. Add a little vegetable oil to the pan as needed to prevent sticking, depending on how lean the meat is. Once cooked through, transfer to a covered dish for keeping while the vegetables cook. Prep the vegetables while the meat is cooking to save time.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the diced onions and shredded carrots to the pan the pork was cooked in. Cook for 3 minutes. Add a little oil as needed to prevent sticking.
- Add 6 cups of shredded cabbage to the pan and cook for about 3 minutes, or until the cabbage is wilted.
- While the cabbage is cooking, whisk together the minced garlic, ground ginger, soy sauce, oyster sauce, fish sauce and corn starch in a small bowl. Once the cabbage is wilted add it to the pan. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until all of the liquid is absorbed, and then remove the pan from the heat. Allow the mixture to cool for 10-15 minutes before filling the egg rolls.
- To fill the egg rolls add ¼ C of filling to the center of the roll, fold in one corner, lightly wet it by dipping your finger in water, and fold over a second and a third corner. Lightly wet the folded corners again, and then roll the egg roll towards the fourth corner to form a roll.*
- Place each spring roll on a lightly greased baking sheet and lightly brush each one with vegetable oil. Bake in a 400º F oven for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown. Best served immediately with duck sauce.
*Slide show on how to wrap an egg roll on blog.