If you're like most other red-blooded Americans, you have/want/dream of eating cake for breakfast. Well, LOOK WHAT I HAVE IN STORE FOR YOU. This cake is the perfectly healthy way to jump start your day- blueberry corn cake topped with vanilla yogurt and granola. I've kept the sugar low so we can all feel good about eating it with our morning coffee. In all honesty, though, this cake is lovely any time of day.
Breakfast CakeCooking Time: 1 hr
- 1 stick of butter, room temperature
- ¾ granulated sugar
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup corn meal
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Vanilla Greek yogurt, for topping
- Granola, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9-inch cake pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugar for several minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs, egg yolk, buttermilk, and vanilla and continue to mix for another minute.
- Whisk together the flour, corn meal, corn starch, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared cake pan, smooth the top, and bake until the cake is set, roughly 55 minutes. Let cool.
- Once cooled, top with greek yogurt and sprinkle with granola.