Perfect chicken salad is in the rich ingredients and the easy technique.
Chicken Salad Technique
- Servings: 1 cup
- Yield: 3 Servings
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cooking Time: 10 min
- 1 large pot water
- 3 chicken breasts room temperature. Pound a little if too thick.
- 2 Tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 bunch green onions small diced
- 3 stalks celery small diced
- ½ cup small diced tamed jalapenos, well drained and dried
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- 4 Tablespoons of Heinz mayonnaise. More if desired
- Bring water to rolling boil
- Salt the water
- Lower temperature until it reaches 212 degrees. Use a thermometer
- Put chicken into the water, cover and allow to poach for approximatley 10 minutes.
- Remove and dry water from chicken
- Let cool 5 minutes
- Slice chicken against the grain - See how-to video below
- Fold in remaining ingredients one at a time
- Make sure all ingredients are bone dry. Dry the water moisture from the vegetables and the chicken. Moisture will destroy the integrity of the salad.
Do you wonder why chicken salad is a challenge? Often, home-cooks boil the chicken. Never boil chicken. You want to Poach.
This delicious recipe is about the technique. It is the precise how-to steps that make a dish fantastic. Pretty please do not leave one of my technique steps out. You will be happy.
Make sure the chicken is completely cooked through. Poaching is simple but, takes a little practice. You can poach the chicken in stock also. Add aromatics too.
Technique makes food turn out sensational. And, no striving. You will fall in love with cooking.
This is how my chicken looks when I make it. This is the poaching method. Poaching makes perfect. Promise me you will never boil chicken again, loves. Promise.
It is important to salt the water in the beginning. I use more than 2 Tablespoons of salt. I narrowed it down to 2 for you to start with. I don't want anyone to ruin their meal with too much salt.
Fork-tender chicken. Slice against the grain. It is important to dry all the ingredients. Moisture will destroy the salad and... Yucky.
"Happy Food To Eat"
With, love, Mama G.
Here is a great video to explain cutting against the grain. Use this for all proteins.