A classic gets a makeover! Pasta is topped with a creamy sauce and Panko breadcrumbs, then baked to cheesy perfection. It's a cholesterol free creation and we promise you won't miss the dairy.
Classic Mac & Cheese (Vegan)
- Yield: 4
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cooking Time: 15 min
- 1.5 tbsp. olive oil
- 1.5 tbsp. unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- ½ c. cashew milk
- ⅛ tsp. onion salt
- ⅛ tsp. garlic salt
- ½ tsp. sweet paprika
- 1 tsp. agave nectar
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. lemon juice
- pinch, red pepper flakes, plus extra for garnish
- 1 c. elbow macaroni
- 4 tbsp. Panko breadcrums
- ½ c. fresh flat leaf Italian parsley
- salt & fresh black ground pepper to taste
- Bring a medium pot of water to boil and cook pasta according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, make a roux by heating olive oil in a saucepan with the flour on low heat. Mix thoroughly until thick and bubbly about one minute, stirring constantly.
- Add nutritional yeast, milk, onion salt, garlic salt, paprika, agave, salt, lemon juice and pinch of red pepper flakes. Stir until fully incorporated.
- Drain pasta when cooking is complete. Add to saucepan and mix thoroughly with sauce.
- Pour pasta into four separate au gratin dishes.
- Heat Panko breadcrumbs in pan until golden brown. Sprinkle breadcrumbs on top of each au gratin dish to cover pasta.
- Heat under broiler 3-5 minutes until breadcrumbs brown further.
- Remove dishes from broiler, sprinkle with additional salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, paprika.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve immediately.