This dairy and lactose free breakfast has all the tropical trimmings you could want: toasted coconut, grilled pineapple, fresh cut strawberries, and strawberry syrup!
(Dairy and Lactose Free) Coconut, Pineapple, and Strawberry French Toast
- Servings: 2 pieces of toast
- Yield: 3
- ½ lb. fresh strawberries + 3-4 additional strawberries
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 6 slices of bread (lactose-free)
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ pineapple, sliced and grilled
- ⅓ cup toasted coconut chips
- 2 tbsp. powdered sugar
- Slice up the ½ lb of strawberries for the strawberry syrup. Combine the strawberries, water, and granulated sugar in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring the mixture to a boil and allow to boil until the strawberries begin to break a part (about 10 minutes). Reduce the heat to a simmer and continue cooking until the mixture is reduced by about ½ (another 5-10 minutes). Using an immersion blender, blend the syrup until smooth.
- In a shallow baking dish or a bowl, whisk together the coconut milk and eggs for the french toast. Dip each side of your thick pieces of bread into the egg mixture, sprinkle with cinnamon, and fry in a non-stick saucepan until golden brown.
- Garnish with pieces of grilled pineapple (if you don't want to lug out your grill, a grill pan works well for this), slices of strawberries, toasted coconut chips, and your strawberry syrup. Serve hot.