Eggnog French Toast ~enjoy the warm flavors of egg nog in the form of delicious french toast, topped with a cranberry syrup.
We love to have a festive breakfast on Christmas morning. This is the time of year that we just can't get enough eggnog or cranberries. So, a couple years ago I decided to try out this flavor combo together!
I never realized how easy it was to make your own cranberry sauce until a couple years ago when I attempted it as a last minute addition to Thanksgiving dinner. Oh my goodness, it is SO EASY!
The cranberry syrup used in this recipe is just a take on that one and it will take you only 5 minutes to make.
Tips & Tricks~
- Use thickly sliced bread
- Soak the slices well, so bread absorbs a good amount of egg mixture.
- The secret to perfectly cooked French toast is using a good amount of fat. Butter makes everything better, right? The bottom of the pan should be more than covered.
- You can make this casserole style too! I've included that variation in the instructions for you.
My family adores this breakfast on Christmas morning. We hope you will too!
Eggnog French Toast
- Yield: 6
- Prep Time: 10 hr
- Cooking Time: 30 hr
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup water
- 1 loaf thickly sliced bread
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup eggnog
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ cup butter
- Place cranberries, water and syrup in a small sauce pan and heat until cranberries 'pop' and are softened.
- optional: add cornstarch slurry to thicken, keep warm until ready to use.
- Whisk 6 eggs, eggnog, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg in a shallow bowl.
- Heat butter in a frying pan on medium heat.
- Working in batches, place the bread in the eggnog mixture and coat both sides well. Cook for 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown.
- Serve immediately topped with Cranberry Syrup
- MAKE AHEAD VARIATION: Make sauce and reserve until serving.
- Place bread slices in a greased 9x13 inch pan.
- Pour eggnog mixture over the top, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Bake at 375 for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Top with warmed cranberry sauce.