This bright, fresh salad combines sweet peas with goat cheese and candied hazelnuts for a light lunch or a tasty side dish.
English Pea Salad with Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette
- Yield: 2
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cooking Time: 27 min
- ½ cup whole hazelnuts
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 4 tsp fresh Meyer lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 ½ cups shelled English peas
- ½ tbsp minced shallot
- ½ tsp cracked pepper
- dash of salt
- ½ cup crumbled goat cheese
- 4 mint leaves, minced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place the nuts on a jelly roll pan lined with parchment paper. Roast for 15 minutes. Let them cool while you make the vinaigrette and then rub the skins off the nuts.
- To make the vinaigrette whisk the vinegar, honey, lemon juice and zest together in a small bowl. Add the olive oil and continue whisking until blended.
- To make the hazelnuts, place the sugar in a small non-stick sauce pan and add 2 tbsp water. Heat over medium high heat and stir constantly until the sugar dissolves. Cook for 2 more minutes, stirring frequently and then add the hazelnuts. Continue stirring until the hazelnuts are coated. Remove the nuts from the pan and spread onto parchment paper to cool. Try to separate the nuts so they don't stick together.
- Insert a steam basket into a medium sauce pan filled with 2
- Remove peas from the heat and place in a medium mixing bowl. Add the shallots, salt and pepper; mix well. Add the vinaigrette and toss to coat. Top with goat cheese, hazelnuts and mint. Serve immediately.