The most simple dish can be the most decadent. Technique is the key. The components consist of proper heating of the pan and temperature of the product. Proper seasoning and proper placement of product. These techniques can be carried over into many dishes.
Grilled Asparagus Technique
- Yield: 2 Servings
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cooking Time: 5 min
- Large cast-iron pan
- Asparagus, quantity as desired. Room temperature
- Extra virgin olive oil for coating
- Kosher salt for coating
- Melted butter as desired
- Fresh lime juice as desired
- Trim asparagus at the bottom or snap off the ends
- Coat asparagus with high quality olive oil
- Coat asparagus with kosher salt
- Preheat a cast-iron skillet on stove-top or outdoor grill to medium high for 15 Minutes.
- Grill asparagus until light brown, just tender. It should have a crispy feel when you bite.
- Approximate grill time will be 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from grill and drizzle with melted butter and fresh lime juice.
- Serve immediately
- This dish is delicious with garlic also.
Key Technique tips:
1. Preheated pan is essential. Splash drops of water into pan. If water drops bounce back up, then the pan is hot enough.
2. For even cooking, oil the asparagus and not the pan. This prevents oil pockets that will ruin the integrity of the dish. It prevents oil splashing and less risk of fire.
3. Salt is key. Salt draws moisture and makes crispy edges.
4, Once you put asparagus into pan, resist the urge to move them. This will ruin the dish. Place them in and leave them until ready to turn.
5. Don't crowd vegetables. No overlapping. Asparagus is delicate. If cooked properly, asparagus is divine.
6. When buying, look for bright green or purple stems. Make sure they are firm and the tips are closed. Give a little squeeze and they should squeak.
"Happy Food To Eat"
Love, Mama G