After a long winter full of savory squash and earthy potatoes, I always long with anticipation for the early spring produce to hit the shelves. Foodies like to ruminate over the complex pungency of ramps, or garnish everything with the first harvest of pea shoots, but my spring doesn't start until I see what I consider to be the perfect food pairing of strawberries and rhubarb! As soon as I see the bright scarlet strawberries and the deeper crimson of the rhubarb I know it is time to celebrate spring with a classic strawberry rhubarb meringue pie.
Here Is What You Should Eat To Celebrate Spring: Strawberry Rhubarb Meringue Pie
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp flour
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups rhubarb, fresh or frozen. I used fresh
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- In a large bowl mix together the first 4 ingredients for the fillings. Gently fold in the fruit.
- Fill pie shell with the fruit mixture and bake at 375 for 35-40 minutes
- Five minutes before the pie is done baking, make the meringue.
- When the pie is done baking, pull out of the oven and immediately cover with the meringue. You want the pie to be as hot as possible, so be careful and don’t burn yourself! Place back in the oven and lower the heat to 350. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
Feel free to use a store bought pie crust for this dish, or you can use my favorite pie crust recipe. Click HERE for the ingredients and instructions for the meringue.