I created sweet breads for you that use one base recipe. You only need to change the flavorings. Be sure to scroll down to the bottom for more flavors. I will add many flavor varieties and keep you posted.
1 cup sugar
2 sticks room temperature unsalted butter
2 room temperature eggs beaten
⅓ cup sour milk. Drop 2 capfuls of white vinegar into milk to sour.
½ cup lemon zest
1 cup fresh lemon juice
1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups Gold Medal flour
Powdered sugar for dusting.
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice.
- Mix and fold sugar, butter, eggs, sour milk, lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla, salt and then baking soda.
- Fold in the flour.
- Dust a loaf pan with cooking spray and Gold Medal flour. No clumping please.
- Pour mixture into pan and cook in a preheated 350 degree oven for 50 - 60 minutes.
- Remove bread from oven. Let it cool just long enough to release the bread from loaf pan.
- Take a large piece of plastic wrap and set it flat on the counter. Dust it with powdered sugar. Then, place the hot bread on top of the powdered sugar.
- Dust the loaf with powdered sugar. The sugar that falls to the side will coat the sides of the bread when you wrap it. This also creates irresistible flavor bites.
- Drizzle the orange glaze over lemon loaf.
- Wrap the loaf snug in the plastic. Let it sit and steam overnight.
- Unwrap the next day. Serve and enjoy for breakfast with a cup of espresso.
- This is one of those desserts you think about all day!
Mama G's How-To's
1. I always under bake my breads by about 5 minutes.
2. Wrapping warm sweet breads creates steam and this will cause moisture. This wonderful moisture makes the bread gooey. Think of it as a bread sauna.
3. You may need to add more orange juice to the powdered sugar. You want it to pour. But, if you get too much liquid it makes the bread too wet on the bottom.
4. Powdered sugar glaze sitting in a plastic wrap sauna makes this bread irresistible
5. Always let your oven preheat 1/2 hour. The temperature will read 350 degrees, but it takes time for the coils and oven walls to reach 350.
6. All ovens vary. This bread is wonderful when cooked for 60 minutes. This will yield a firm loaf. I prefer to cook it for 50 minutes, this yields a loaf that is still moist in the middle, and gooey. Remember, the lemon loaf will continue to cook when removed. Test and see what works best for you.
7. Make extra glaze to pour over bread in the morning. This should be a sin, it's so good.
8. You can make this recipe with bananas. Take out the lemon zest and lemon juice. Then, add 4 brown ripe and mashed bananas.
9. You can make this recipe with oranges. In place of lemons use orange zest and orange juice.
10. To make the banana bread - coat warm bread with powdered sugar and wrap overnight, as well.
11. To make the orange bread - Use the exact instruction I give with the lemon bread.
12. You can also coat the warm bread with just the powdered sugar. Then, wrap it overnight. Then, add the orange glaze the next morning. Try the recipe a few times to see what level of sweetness and gooey you love best.
13. More flavors to come.
NOTE: If you need help or have questions, I am always available and happy to help you! You can reach me at https://www.facebook.com/whatscookingwithmamag/
"Happy Food To Eat"