Welcome to the 1940's Highway Cafe Banana Bread. This original recipe was Great Grandmothers. She once owned the famous Highway Cafe during the 1940's located in South Dakota. Service men and women would visit daily to get a delicious piece of warm, buttery, banana bread. The best part is the gooey texture. I have added my own techniques and a decadent drizzle. Irresistible!
Mama G's Famous Highway Cafe Banana Bread
- 1 stick butter room temperature
- 1 cups white sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla
- 1/3 c whole sour milk - add 1tsp to milk to sour
- 2 eggs room temperature beaten. Mix albumin (whites) into yolk.
- 4 dark brown ripe mashed bananas
- 1 tsp fresh baking soda
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups Gold Medal flour
- Fold in 1 tsp of orange zest
Beat butter for 10 seconds. Then, add sugar and beat 2 minutes. Mix remaining ingredients.
- Coat a loaf pan with cooking spray evenly (no clumps darlins') and dust with flour. Make it look like velvet.
- Pour the batter into pan (no dark pan please) and cook in preheated oven at 350 for 45 to 55 minutes.
- Remove and let it sit about 15 minutes or until it releases easily. Then, wrap the warm bread in plastic wrap. Let it sit overnight. This makes a steam bath. This steam creates a Gooey texture.
- Unwrap and coat bread with a powdered sugar or lemon drizzle. This will seep into the gooey bread. It's like banana streusel. You're welcome!
Mama G's Tips and technique:
1. Technique is the difference between good food or outstanding food.
2. You can make this in a Bundt or spring form pan. Use a light colored pan.
3. Add lemon zest in place of orange.
4. Prepare pans: Banana bread is stubborn. I use cooking spray with a flour dust. Make sure it doesn't clump.
5. Drag a butter knife across the top of the batter. This makes a pretty split.
6. Add 1 c of dark chocolate Ghirardelli chips to the bread.
7. Add a piece of spearmint gum to flour to prevent flour bugs. I know right!
8.You can drizzle the warm bread with glaze.Then, wrap it overnight. This makes a sugar crust on the bottom.Try both ways and see what you like best.
9. When your oven is at the desired temperature, let it continue to heat for 15 minutes.
"Happy Food To Eat"
With Love, Mama G