I saw the Zucchini Boat segment this morning on the show and thought I would add my "Pepperoni Pizza Zucchini Bites" on the TODAY Food Club - Healthy Swap Page. I made these Live on-air in August of 2014 on WZZM and they were a hit with their viewers! Now that it's summer, you'll be making a lot of snacks for kids. Try these kid-friendly pizza bites. These are a great low carb, gluten-free option when you want some pizza, but not the extra calories.
Pepperoni Pizza Zucchini Bites
- 4 medium size zucchini
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup mini pepperoni
- Fresh basil, for garnishing
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut ends off zucchini and slice into rounds or ovals, ¼ inch thick if you're making bite size snacks. If you're having this as an entree, then make zucchini boats. Cut in half lengthwise, then scoop out flesh using a spoon or melon baller and use the flesh for a different recipe.
- Place zucchini on baking sheet and drizzle with oil, garlic, salt, pepper and parmesan. Next add some pizza sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Top with pepperoni and bake for 20-30 minutes, depending on the size of the zucchini and if they are rounds or boats. Check at 20 minutes, you want them to be fork tender.
- Garnish with fresh basil!
I use small to medium zucchini. The small zucchini has more flavor and is less fibrous than the larger zucchini. Our best friends are zucchini farmers, so I have learned a lot about zucchini thanks to them! :)