This Tex-Mex appetizer is great for social events because it’s sure to please many palates. First the fried flour tortillas give a crunch while the sauce spiced chicken adds a rich flavor with the melted Cheddar plus a touch of sweet from the corn and lastly topped with the cabbage, cilantro, green onion and crema topping provides a crisp and fresh creamy finish.
Puffy Chicken Taquitos
- 3 cups water 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (Optional: substitute smoked chicken)
- 3 ½ cups vegetable oil
- 32 oz Tomato Sauce
- 2 T Olive Oil
- 2 T Ground Cumin
- ¾ C Diced Sweet Onion
- 2 Crushed Garlic Cloves
- ¼ C Adobo Sauce
- 1 T Chili Powder
- 1 T Kosher Salt
- ½ t Sugar
- ½ C Grilled Sweet Corn (cut off the cob)
- ½ C fresh Shredded Cheddar
- (4-6 inch) flour tortillas
- 12 wooden picks
- 1 C shredded cabbage
- ¼ C Minced Green Onions
- ¼ C Chopped & De-stemmed Cilantro
- 2 t Red Pepper Flakes
- ½ C Mexican Crema
- 1.Place chicken in a pot and fill with water and cover pot. Bring water and chicken up to a boil in a pot over high heat. Cook until chicken is no longer pink in the center, 20 to 25 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 165 degrees F (74 degrees C). Remove chicken from water and cool; shred with a fork.
- 2.Heat oil in a small pot over medium heat. Add diced sweet onions and sauté until translucent about 5-minutes. Add smashed garlic cloves and cook until fragrant careful not to burn.
- 3.Add the tomato sauce and ½ C water. Stir to combine. Reduce heat to low.
- 4.Add cumin, Adobo sauce, chili powder, salt and sugar. Stir to combine ingredients. Let simmer for 20-minutes to reduce and infuse.
- 5.To fully incorporate all flavors, add chicken to cooled sauce, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 6.Add shredded Cheddar and grilled sweet corn to chicken and sauce mixture and stir to combine.
- 7.Spoon about 2 tablespoons mixture down the center of each tortilla. Tightly roll each tortilla around the filling and secure with a wooden toothpick.
- 8.Heat vegetable oil to 350 degrees. Fry rolled-up tortillas, working in batches, in hot oil until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes rotating sides or fully submerged. Remove taquitos with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- 9.Toss shredded cabbage, green onions, cilantro and red pepper flakes together and top the fried taquitos with cabbage mixture and drizzle with Mexican Crema.