Everyone loves guac, but this recipe tops them all. Simple, clean, fresh, and chocked full of garlic, this dip is always a crowd pleaser.
Showstopper GuacamolePrep Time: 35 hr
- 6 ripe avocados
- 1 large sweet onion
- 3 tomatillos
- 5 cloves of freshly chopped garlic
- ¼ cup of freshly chopped cilantro
- 2 limes (juiced)
- kosher salt (to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- drizzle of olive oil
- crumbled Cotija cheese (for garnish)
- 1 chopped radish (for garnish)
- 2 fresh jalepenos (optional)
- Boil 2 cups of water in a small saucepan. Add the tomatillos, then reduce heat to simmer. Leave them on the stove until you've chopped all of your ingredients.
- Mix together onion, garlic, jalepenos, cilantro.
- Half your avacados and begin adding them to the mixture.
- Mix with a spoon (don't over do it!).
- Add olive oil, lime juice, and salt and pepper.
- Remove tomatillos from the stove, puncture with a knife, and allow the juices to run into the mixture.
- Garnish with radish and Cotija cheese, and serve with tortilla chips or fresh veggies.
The key to this guacamole is not to over stir it. Leave some of the avocados chunky. I like to get a mix of ripe and not-as-ripe ones, so that the riper ones can act as a binding agent. Also, make sure not to skip those tomatillos. They add a great citrus flavor and really brighten up the dish.
This post comes from the TODAY Food Club community, where anyone can write posts, ask questions and share advice. Learn more and join us!