I have cooked this recipe in a Dutch Oven for four hours at 250 F in the past and it converts into a slow cooker recipe beautifully. So, you can come home and enjoy it. This dish is eclectic with an Asian style curry that slow cooks for hours like your typical stew.
Slow Cooker Coconut Beef Curry with Cherry Tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1.5 pounds beef chuck roast, cut into 2" pieces
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 13.5 ounces canned coconut milk
- 1 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped in chunks (may substitute red or orange bell pepper)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- Add oil to a large pan warm over medium-high heat. Salt and pepper beef and brown on all sides. Work in batches if necessary. Remove from pan, set aside, covered.
- Sauté onions in the same pan for about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and add garlic to cook for 2 minutes. Add soy sauce, garlic, ginger, curry powder and cayenne and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add coconut milk and brown sugar and stir until combined well. Taste and adjust seasonings to taste. (You may need more salt)
- Pour contents of the pan into a slow cooker and add browned beef back. Stir to combine all together well. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours.
- Add bell pepper and tomatoes for final 30 minutes of cooking.
Tip: Serve over jasmine rice or Cilantro Lime Rice.