Big, rich and meaty this slow cooker bbq'd (meatless) burger brings together the best flavors using your favorite bbq sauce and your slow cooker!
Slow Cooker Mushroom Burger
- Yield: 2 burgers
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cooking Time: 4 hr
- 2 portobello mushrooms
- 1 16 oz. package pre-sliced mushroom
- 1 red bell pepper
- ½ red onion
- ½ cup bbq sauce - use your favorite
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Healthy pinch red pepper flakes
- ½ head cabbage
- 2 carrots
- ½ red onion
- ½ cup mayonaise
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 large burger buns
- Clean the portobello mushrooms, remove the stem & fins, place in the slow cooker. Top with the pre-sliced mushrooms.
- Slice the bell pepper, remove the seeds and slice into strips. Remove the outer peel from the onion and slice into strips. Place into the slow cooker with the mushrooms.
- Season the vegetables with salt, pepper & red pepper flakes, top with bbq sauce. Put the lid on the slow cooker & cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6.
- While the meal is cooking, make the cole slow. Thinly slice the cabbage, clean & shred the carrots (I use a box grater.), thinly slice the onions, place in a large bowl. Mix the coleslaw dressing together - it will be quite thick, but that's how you want it. Mix the dressing with the vegetables, refrigerate until ready to use.
- Toast the burger buns - when the slow cooker is completely place the portobello mushrooms on the bottom of the burger, stem side up. Top with additional mushrooms, onions and red peppers. Top the mushrooms with coleslaw and the top of the bun.