An easy, make-ahead meal. Slow cooker rope vieja is a real crowd pleaser.
Slow-Cooker Ropa Vieja
- Servings: 6
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cooking Time: 45 min
- 1.5 pounds flank steak
- 1 small yellow onion, rough chop
- 1 beefsteak tomato, rough chop
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and rough chop
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- To Finish the Dish:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Season the beef generously with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a large deep sauté pan add the beef, tomato, carrot, and garlic cloves. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the beef is tender, about 30 minutes. Remove the meat from the cooking liquid and let cool. Reserve the cooking liquid to finish the dish.
- When the meat has cooled enough to handle, using a fork, gently shred the meat and place in a medium size mixing bowl. Reserve.
- Place the large sauté pan back over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and when hot, but not smoking, add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about one minute.
- Add the onions and peppers and continue to cook, stirring occasionally until softened, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the white wine and simmer for an additional two minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, white wine, shredded beef and enough of the reserved cooking liquid to help create a thin sauce.
- Add the cumin and simmer for an additional 5 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken slightly and coat the beef.
- Remove from the heat and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.