Short ribs and chuck roast slow cooked with salsa, brown sugar, chili powder and cayenne for the best taco filling! Topped with a quick pickled onions, corn and fresh avocado salsa.
Slow Cooker Short Rib Tacos
- 1 T. vegetable oil
- 4 large short ribs
- 2 lb. chuck or similar cut of "pot" roast
- 1 jar salsa (your favorite brand)
- 2 T. brown sugar
- 2 t. chili powder
- ½ t. cayenne pepper
- 1 t. salt
- 1 red onion, diced
- ⅔ c. apple cider vinegar
- ¼ c. sugar
- ½ t. salt
- 1 can sweet corn, drained
- 2 avocados, peeled, pitted and diced
- juice of 1 lime
- ¼ c. fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat the oil in a dutch oven over medium high heat. Add the short ribs and pot roast, sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper, and brown on all sides. This will take about 15 minutes.
- Transfer the meat to the slow cooker. Add the jar of salsa, chili powder and brown sugar. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. Remove the meat and pick over it to discard any visible fat (there definitely will be some large pieces on the short ribs) and the bones.
- Strain the cooking liquid and discard the solids.
- Shred the beef and return it to the slow cooker and mix in all the cooking liquid. Keep on low until ready to serve. Alternatively, you can cool the meat and freeze for a later use.
- To make the salad topping, mix together the red onion, vinegar, sugar and ½ teaspoon of salt in a bowl. Allow to sit for 20 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the drained corn, avocado, lime juice, cilantro and remaining salt. Drain the onions, but reserve a couple tablespoons of the pickling juice. Toss the quick pickled onions and reserved juice with the corn and avocado mixture.
- Served the short rib tacos with the salad and corn tortillas. Cheese and sour cream are optional.