Two long-time dessert favorites come together this week to make one gorgeous summertime treat. An old-fashioned strawberry jelly roll and a classic English trifle combine to create edible elegance in a bowl. There’s a fruity spoonful of flavor in every bite!
Strawberry Jellyroll Trifle
- 6 eggs, separated
- ¼ cup water
- 1-½ cups sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1-¼ cups cake flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Powdered sugar for dusting on towel
- 1 jar (12 ounces) strawberry or raspberry jam or jelly
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese softened
- 2 tablespoons milk or cream
- ⅛ cup Strawberry Liquor or Rum, optional
- 1 large package (approx. 5-6 oz) instant Vanilla Pudding
- 3 cups milk
- ½ half pint heavy cream plus 2 tablespoons powdered sugar for topping
- 1 pint fresh strawberries for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place egg whites in large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Line a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan with waxed or parchment paper.
- Grease the paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks and ¼ cup water on high speed 5 minutes or until thick and lightly lemon-colored.
- Gradually stir in 1 cup sugar and beat.
- Add vanilla and lemon extracts and beat well.
- In another bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add to yolk mixture a little at a time and mix well. Batter will be thick.
- In a clean bowl with clean beaters, beat together egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add remaining ½ cup sugar, a little at a time, beating on high until sugar is dissolved.
- Continue beating until soft glossy peaks form.
- Gently fold egg whites into batter until well incorporated.
- Spread evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake 15-18 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Cool 5 minutes. Invert onto a kitchen towel dusted with powdered sugar.
- Gently peel off waxed paper.
- Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting from the short side.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Unroll cake.
- Brush lightly with strawberry liquor and rum.
- Mix together cream cheese and milk or cream until smooth.
- Spread evenly over cake roll. Spread jelly over cream cheese.
- Roll up and freeze for about 30 minutes for easier slicing.
- Prepare pudding by mixing together one package of vanilla pudding with 3 cups milk.
- Spoon a small amount of pudding on the bottom of trifle bowl.
- With a serrated knife, slice very thin slices of jelly roll and place around inside wall of trifle bowl.
- Fill the center with alternate layers of jelly roll and pudding.
- If you have enough jelly roll, add a second layer and repeat process.
- Beat together heavy cream and powdered sugar until thick.
- Spread over top of trifle and garnish with fresh strawberries.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Spreading the Filling