My mother's Beef Soup was delicious - this is a vegan version made with Gardein brand vegan meatballs. It's a true comfort food dish with authentic Italian flavor.
Vegan Meatball Soup
- Yield: 4-6 servings
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cooking Time: 35 min
- 2 bags Gardein brand Classic Meatless Meatballs
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 carrots, diagonally sliced about ½” thick
- 4 stalks of celery, diagonally sliced, about ½” thick
- 1 T. dried basil
- 12 new potatoes, quartered
- 1 cup button mushrooms, cut into thick sliced
- 3 c. vegetable stock
- 2- 20 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 T. salt
- 10 grinds of fresh ground black pepper
- 1 c. minced fresh Italian parsley or cilantro
- Heat olive oil in large soup pot on medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add carrots, celery, onion and garlic. Sauté for five minutes, then add basil and sauté for an additional five minutes.
- Add tomatoes, potatoes, mushrooms, vegetable stock and bay leaves. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper, mixing thoroughly. Add meatballs and cook another five minute or until meatballs are heated through.
- Place into four large bowls. Top with minced parsley or cilantro and serve with crusty baguettes.