In honor of my 43rd birthday, I give you 44 of the most important lessons I’ve learned so far (1 for each year plus 1 for good luck).
1. Don't borrow anxiety from the future.
2. Your biggest enemy is you.
3. You can either make changes or make excuses.
4. Choose people who choose you.
5. Nachos and tacos make almost anything better.
6. Make time to rest and recharge - it won't just happen magically.
7. Perfection is a myth.
8. You are not responsible for other people's happiness.
9. Never underestimate the power of an unexpected text or phone call.
10. You don't have to fight every battle.
11. It's ok to not be ok.
12. Closure does not exist.
13. Real friends don't keep score.
14. Don't give other people's opinions of you more attention than they deserve.
15. Sometimes you just have to feel your feelings.
16. Don't drink cheap tequila.
17. You can hear a lot by listening to the silence.
18. An authentic life requires vulnerability and risk.
19. Your mistakes do not define you - how you correct them does.
20. Real is better than perfect.
21. Time doesn't heal all wounds.
22. Sometimes the greatest gift you can give someone is to just listen.
23. The best investment to make is in yourself.
24. Parenting teenagers is equal parts trying to hold on and trying to let go.
25. It’s ok to be proud of yourself.
26. Your worth is not determined by others.
27. People will treat you how you let them treat you.
28. A little bit of kindness can make a lot of impact.
29. What you think you know about someone's situation is never the full story.
30. It's ok to walk away from toxicity.
31. Not everyone is going to like you - and it's ok.
32. Life's uncomfortable moments can be where we grow the most.
33. Self-care is not selfish.
34. No is a complete sentence.
35. Sometimes the best way to create space for your teen to talk with you is to get in the car and drive with them
36. When you seek approval from everyone else, you lose sight of the real you.
37. When in doubt, reach out.
38. There is beauty in the simple.
39. You have to look for the glimmers of hope - always.
40. Celebrate the little moments - they become the big moments.
41. Lean in to the things that scare you.
42. It's ok to ask for help.
43. Don't believe the lies your depression and anxiety tell you.
44. We all are works in progress.
To read the entire list with additional details and descriptions, visit here: